My freelance work is wide-ranging, as are my interests. The key has been to keep my eyes open for good stories, listen well and respectfully, and have good working relationships with editors.
- High Country News Magazine
- Navajo Monster Slayers
- California Lawyer
- The New Republic
- New York Times Travel
- A cross country adventure in Yosemite National Park
- Once the dude ranch capital of the world, Wickenburg, Arizona, is now known for detox clinics
- "This American Life"
- The Allure of Crime -- a friendly conversation with a former bank robber. Access it directly at http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/135/allure-of-crime
- California Magazine
- "Do You Have Free Will?" -- An interview with philosopher John Searle.
- "Mr. Clean" -- A profile of green chemistry crusaders Michael Wilson and Megan Schwarzman.
- Mother Jones
- "The Talking Way" -- In Navajo country, traditional justice, modern violence, and the death penalty collide in a debate unlike any in America
- "Mortgage Foreclosure" -- 18 Months of Hearings, 700 Witnesses, and Barely a Single Homeowner
- The Nation
- "Sapping the Superfund's Strength" -- As Washington dithers, sites long slated for clean up continue to threaten human health
- "Pioneertown" - In this zine's "Fake Authenticity" issue #15, I write about a former Western movie set in the Mojave desert now inhabited by out-of-work extras.
- Taking Things Seriously: 75 Objects With Unexpected Significance (Princeton Architectural Press, 2007). For this unique book, I contributed one of the essays.
- "Om of the Brave-Mirabella Magazine"- Before I began to report a story on how prisons in the United States were using a ten-day meditation course to help reform inmates, I decided to take the course myself. That became a tale in itself.
- "Wisdom of the Ages"     - I was turning 40, had just broken up with my boyfriend, and didn�t have a job that paid any money. So I decided to head for the desert and live in a trailer with senior citizens for a while. It was a blast.
- "Bran Identity", Interview with former Disney Imagineer Bran Ferren, October 2000
Taking Things Seriously